Pages

Followers

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering Today

One of the scariest days of my life as a New Yorker. I will never forget it. Sitting in Spanish class when I found out the Towers had been hit. All I knew was that my parents worked in Manhattan. Wasn't sure how close to World Trade they were but at that point we weren't sure what was going on and if my whole city was under attack. They dismissed us from school and Flushing was bananas. The lines for the buses were insane. I was the first one to get home. I walked into my house calling peoples names and no one answered. I went into my parents room and turned on the TV and watched the footage. Tears streamed down my face. I didn't know if my parents were ok, I didn't know if now I had to take care of my sibs by myself. Life was totally uncertain. Phones weren't working. I sat frozen, eyes glued to the screen watching and praying. And then after what seemed like forever my mom came through the door. A little later my dad came in after picking my bro up from afterschool. Then my sister came home. And all the worry and fear was gone. Then it hit me that for many families across my city their loved ones didn't come home. Its a very sobering, humbling thought. We all slept in my parents bed that night, something I hadn't done since I was a kid. I hoped that when I woke up the next morning it was all a bad dream. 
I can't believe its been 9 years already. We were all so paralyzed. Planes were now scary things. The Airforce was flying overhead. It took a long time for things to be normal again. But my city came together. Acts of bravery and heroism displayed unselfishly. We helped each other.  Its sad that a tragic event is what it took to make people care about others. Death and destruction don't recognize color, faith, or gender. We shouldn't either. The only way to destroy hate is with love. Love one another, let go of grudges, forgive, show kindness when its not deserved, give a smile and say Good morning because your alive and grateful. It won't only start a change in you and your heart but it will begin to make a change in others as well. 
The Greatest of these is Love
Thats what the Bible says because the Lord knew that hate will destroy but that love brings life. If we don't learn anything else from this experience I hope we learn to love one another. If we do then we'll make our world a better place. A safer place.

2 comments:

JStar said...

I cant imagine even after seeing the news coverage the mayham that took place in NY...I was in the heart of DC at the time stuck in traffic and people by the hundreds in the streets in panic...Not allowing traffic to flow...I remember trying for hours to call my mom to get my daughter from school...and my phone was not working...That was the most sickening feeling...Then to get home and see the coverage...Those who didnt make it...So sad...But where is the love now that we displayed then...Does it take a tradegy to find it...

Damaris Herron-Watkins said...

I know. Sometimes it seems thats when people come together. Its sad because if we learned to love we could prevent tragedy in the first place.

Post a Comment